Howdy Twinkles,

> What is the real difference between 8 and 16 bit audio at the same
> sampling frequency?

According to the standard approximations of the statistical formulation
(which allows ~6dB/bit) - about 48 dB of SNR...

If this means nothing to you, then consider that even basic cassette decks
are typically considered to have ~60 dB of SNR - 8 bit audio is about the
fidelity of a low end record player (though with very different noise
characteristics) or an AM radio.  As Greg pointed out, even you telephone's
mulaw codec (which uses 8 bit words) claims ~14 bit quality.

> Doesn't the number of bits indicate the voltage (volume
> level)?

In the final analysis, yes, it indicates the number of discrete in- or
output voltage (which is not volume in the technical sense, but rather
amplitude) levels.

> If so, on
> el-cheapo cards like my SB16 where there are only 256 levels of volume
> anyway, would 8 bit seem more appropriate? It would save 50% space!!

I thought the '16' in SoundBlaster16 indicated the number of bits it used
for words?  It may not be truly capable of accurately reproducing 16-bit
audio through its DACs, and most probably does not use the proper internal
overhead of bits to maintain 16-bit quality through mixing, etc., but I
doubt very much that it really only has 8-bit output quality?

Early games machines used 8-bit audio to 'save 50% space', with resulting
quality problems...

Alex