Title: RE: [MP3 ENCODER] Difference between 8 and 16 bit quality

I thought the number of bits refers to the number of variations in volume from silence to maximum.  16-bit providing 65536 steps and 8-bit providing only 256.  I would think it would be difficult to hear the volume change on an 8-bit tone when moving up 1 step, from say 128 to 129.  It would be like a TV having 256 volume positions.  I've come across some annoying TV's with only about 16 volume positions.  Increase a notch and it's too loud and decrease and it's too quiet.  I don't notice much difference changing my Winamp to 8-bit MP3 decode.

So it begs the question; would reducing the audio bits provide more space to increase sound quality on lower bitrates?

Ross.