> From: Frank Klemm [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> I know there is a project to avoid pauses between tracks by
> extending the
> MP3 format with additional tags. But I don't understand why
> this is necessary and
> AFAIS the handling is a little bit difficult.

[snip suggested support for multiple filenames]

This seems to assume that you have to encode each track individually. Why
not use one big wav, encode that, and split it afterwards? This requires no
encoder changes (will work with any encoder) and the tools already exist to
do the splitting. Works for me... but I'm idly working on an "encoder
wrapper" that simplifies the process

  wrapper file.wav file.cue

will first invoke the encoder on file.wav, producing file.mp3, then split
file.mp3 based on file.cue, adding id3 tags as it goes. It would then be
quite simple to add support for your approach

  wrapper file1.wav [file2.wav [...]]

and work with a cue sheet generated on the fly. Seems to me to be a cleaner
approach overall.

OTOH I'm not sure if .cue files are well-supported on platforms other than
Windows. Can cdparanoia etc. be configured to generate them?

-- Mat.