::  > This gap is a pain in the arse and is THE thing I hate most about MP3.  When
::  > this problem has been sorted in LAME i will be happy.  Personnaly i feel a
::  > 'fix' to this problem is long overdue.
::
::  Haven't made a study of the subject, but surely there is a purpose to this gap,
::  other than that the standard dictates it (if it does)? What other reason would
::  there be for all the encoders to put it there in the first place?
::
::  Apart from this, I remember reading about a decoder gap as well-- a silent
::  pause that the decoder put there. So it's a two-way problem. You'd need a fixed
::  encoder as well as a fixed decoder. But I assume the Winamp gapless plugin
::  takes care of the decoder part.
::
The problem isn't so symmetric as you mentioned.

 * A broken°) decoder produces faulty PCM files or produces gaps on the Hifi
   equipment.
 * A broken encoder produces faulty MP3 files

Now we assume the bug is fixed. What is to do:

  * Decoder:
      - Replace the decoder and be happy (if the encoder was not broken
        while coding the MP3 files)
      - Decode all PCM-from-MP3 files from their sources
        + Note: Usually you have all MP3 source files, because they are
                * much smaller
                * Transport of MP3 is done as MP3, not as PCM

  * Encoder:
      - Encode all PCM files again
        + take your own CD and borrow all CDs you have borrowed
        + RIP the CDs
        + Code the PCM files again
      - MP3 files you haven't code yourself
        + Buy the CDs, RIP the CDs and code it
      Note: Coding is much slower than encoding, but can be done automatically
            RIPing without a PC CD changer can not be done automatically

The output of a decoder is mostly a temporary output so fixes
have an immediate effect. Decoder output is seldom stored for a long time.

Encoder output IS usually stored for a long time, is transmitted via
WAN networks.

That's the "little" difference.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Frank Klemm

°) I use the term "broken" if there is a detectable (in this case audible)
   malfunction. If a standard (ISO, OSI, DIN, ANSI, ...) demands such a
   malfunction, the standard itself is broken and should be replaced by an
   unbroken and as much compatible as possible version.

   A lot of standards are broken or not definite enough.

eMail | [EMAIL PROTECTED]       home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone | +49 (3641) 64-2721    home: +49 (3641) 390545
sMail | R.-Breitscheid-Str. 43, 07747 Jena, Germany