Hi Gaby!

> > I'd be slow, but it'd be the best possible quality for cbr and best
> quality/size
> > for vbr. (as far as I can see)
>
> not so slower, if both sets of data are already computed

Psychoacoustics are calculated for stereo and mid-side
stereo frames. Then a decision is made using masking ratios
calculated in GPSYCHO.  The iteration loops quantize either
stereo frames or mid-side frames.

CBR/ABR: bitallocation for side channel uses energy ratios
         from GPSYCHO
VBR: every channel can get as many bits as needed, in case
     there is no bit pressure like 4095 maximum or if the
     largest allowed frame would not provide enough bits.

I think, if there are really cases where MS frames would
take a lot more bits than ST frames, then we can tune our
switching criterion and see for example how the energy
ratios (already calculated in GPSYCHO) look like.
Maybe another constraint for energy ratios would solve the
switching problems without the need to quantize all four
channels.

Ciao Robert