On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Robert Hegemann wrote:
> Mark Powell schrieb am Mit, 20 Sep 2000:

The "?=" operator was introduced on 1998-03-02 in v3.76.90 of GNU make.
v3.77 handles this operator perfectly well. I've just tested it on machine
with v3.77.

------
# make --version
GNU Make version 3.77, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98
        Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

# make -f -
JOYFUL ?= process
all:
        @echo ${JOYFUL}
process
------

Are you sure you are using v3.77?

> The configure script should then check for the installed Make version!
> You can't expect that everyone will/can/has the rights to upgrade tools
> just for a little bit smarter typing.

Agreed. Thats what autoconf is for right?

> If the above expressions are equivalent, why not using the latter which
> works on older Make versions too?

Well we are getting into other territory here. The stock BSD make does not
understand:

ifeq ($(origin FOO), undefined)
  FOO = bar
endif

although it does understand:

FOO ?= bar

Not everyone uses GNU make. Although that does seem almost exclusively
the case in the Linux world.
Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Academic Information Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,
Salford University, Manchester, M5 4WT, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key