On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Roel VdB wrote:

> Hello Dmitry,
>
> Thursday, September 28, 2000, 1:34:50 PM, you wrote:
>
> D> nommx version was compiled with ic 4.5 (with project files)
> D> mmx version was compiled with makefile.msvc (ic4.5)
> D> may be here is the problem
>
> since the nommx ic version seems to output abberant data, could you

I'm guessing that it's this that makes you happy with the velvet sound?

        RH_AMP stuff is what was previously known as RH_NOISE_CALC
        RH_VALIDATE_MS avoids to switch from LR to MS when
        the perceptual entropy indicates a need for more bits
        in MS coding mode than in LR mode.

> please try and compile an ic version with makefile.msvc (ic4.5)?

But doesn't Robert recommend not doing this?

        I would recommend them, but they break Mark's testcases.
        They are independent from the --raise-smr stuff. I'm actually
        not sure about the benefit of --raise-smr 1 as this will
        increase noise modulation with another test case spahm.wav.
        It seems that vbrtest.wav and spahm.wav need diametrical tunings
        and the real solution would be a new spreading function.
        The safest is, don't use neither -q1 nor --raise-smr x.

He also thinks -q1 could be unsafe. Is that unsafe just in v3.87 or has it
always been so, Robert?
  Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Academic Information Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,
Salford University, Manchester, M5 4WT, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key