> From: "Youri Pepplinkhuizen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:22:08 +0200
> Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Great! Just one thing - does the fact big_values is limited to 8192
> now mean a loss of quality?
>
> >Imposing a maximum value of 8191 is a completely unneeded
> >restriction which results in a (very tiny) loss of quality.
>
> I don't get this, since apparantly, it is a needed restriction. Or
> is it like this: dist10 uses 8206 after adding 15 to big_values and
> LAME used to add 15 to 8206? I'm confused. Does this mean LAME
> complies to the ISO spec now or was the ISO spec incorrectly
> specified?
>
> -Youri

ISO spec says the maximum should be 8191.  But as part of huffman
decoding, you sometimes add 15 to the result, yielding values as large
as 8206.  Right now, LAME (and the ISO dist10 code) will make use of
the full range: values up to 8206.

The question is, should LAME be modified to limit this range to 8191.

Mark