> where Chris.mp3 is the file available at
> <http://mpej.unige.ch/~hairer/Downloads/Chris.mp3>,
> I get the following output:
>
> input:  /Users/hairer/Desktop/Chris.mp3
>          (32 kHz, 1 channel, MPEG-1 Layer III)
> output: /Users/hairer/Desktop/Chris.wav  (16 bit, Microsoft WAVE)
> skipping initial 1105 samples (encoder+decoder delay)
> [A few lines of similar output are skipped here...]
>
> Segmentation fault
>
> Then, lame crashes... The funny thing is that this Mp3 files plays fine
> on iTunes
> and on Mint, two players on MacOS X. Does anyone have an idea of what's
> happening?

Also crashed WMP...
I understand what is happening. The problem is not the ID3V2 tag. The
problem is that after this tag, there is some data that is including some
false syncwords. Mpglib is trying to decode it, then fails.
On debugging, I can see that mpglib is on each failure trying to resync and
decode again (it's heavily switching between channel, sampling rate, and
even layer configurations)

The real mp3 start is at 6F1 from the beginning.

I have a potential solution: when the initial potential sync word is found,
do not try decoding. Instead, try looking if there is a sync word at the
presumed position of the next frame.
If there is, then start decoding, if there is no, then skip byte and try to
sync again.

Unfortunately it's unlikely that I will correct this myself. If womeone is
willing to do it...

Regards,

----
Gabriel Bouvigne