To be honest I haven't really kept up with LAME, though it appears that a
rather impressive amount of work has been done on it.

In iTunes I recommend using VBR with a "maximum quality" setting which gives
the encoder the most freedom to go up in bit rate as PE demands.  The bit
rate you choose is the minimum- I personally like 160.

I also suggest you give AAC a try!

-Bill