On 21 okt 2003, at 20.50, Richard Brockie wrote:

Bill Kincaid said:
Don't bother. The iTunes MP3 encoder was written pretty much from scratch,
based on the ISO reference source in distribution 10, as LAME was. I know, I
was the principal author (it was originally shipped in SoundJam, for anyone who
remembers that far back).

It has been heavily tweaked over the years and doesn't bear much resemblance to
dist 10 anymore...

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the iTunes jukebox last night (Windows user)
and liked what I saw - it is a nice package.

How would you compare the encoding available from the iTunes encoder and LAME
v3.9? I currently use EAC and LAME to encode my CD's, generally with something
like --alt-preset standard. What would you recommend in iTunes?

You do have the option of using AAC encoding in iTunes. It sounds pretty great @ 128kbits / s.

If you still want to use MP3 (for backwards compatibility, forward compatibility or whatever), use 192 kbit / s or more. I don't think there are many more settings you can make about the encoding in iTunes?

I personally think the LAME encoding is somewhat better than what iTunes performes (long time Mac user). But LAME is quite a bit slower than iTunes on my computer, and not as convenient (handy AppleScripts aside). I don't know if the same holds true on Win, but I do know LAME is optimized better for x86, so that's not necessarily the case.

/ David