On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:50:02 -0500 (EST)
"G. Vincent Castellano" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am given to understand that converting an MP3 to .wav and back can
> produce undesirable artifacts.  (While I am curious as to the reasons
> for this, I can surmise, and knowing why is not my main goal here.)  So I
> can't use this method to fix phase.

You can, see later. Regarding the artifacts: if you reencode a file (mp3
-> wav -> mp3) you do the complete lossy conversation again, which
already happened in the "original -> mp3" encode step. If you do this
multiple times, you even get audible artifacts with the best mp3 encoder
ever (not yet written). It may not introduce audible (for) artifacts in
the first round, but it definitively will introduce them, the more
reencoding rounds you do.

> However, resampling, taking an MP3 as input to LAME and writing it
> back out at a different bit rate (which I've done thousands of times)
> doesn't have this problem.  Since there is no way to simply modify

That's not resampling, that's reencoding (yes, the same as above).
Resampling changes the sampling rate of the audio signal (e.g. 44.1 kHZ
to 22.05 kHZ).

So if you don't hear audible artifacts with reencoding, just decode,
change the phase and encode again (that's not the best solution, but as
you don't need to rip the songs again, it's a fast solution).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           I will be available to get hired in April 2004.