I have a problem with LAME creating "static" noise in MP3's it is creating from a WAV file. This doesn't happen on every PC, and it doesn't happen every time - even when called with the same command line parameters. An example of the noise is here:

http://www.nerosoft.com/download/LameNoise.mp3

The noise does not exist in the source WAV file. As you can hear in this MP3, the static noise is only produced when there is sound in the source file - during the silent portions of the file, there is no static.

We are using LAME 3.96, Windows build, with this command line:

lame.exe -b 192 -m j -h --tt "SongName" --ta "ArtistName" --tc "Comment" "c:\Whatever\SourceFile.wav" "Destination.mp3"

What is confusing is that this happens only SOME of the time, but for those it does happen to, it happens often. But not always. For most people, it never happens at all. I'm a bit stumped at this point. Has anyone ever heard anything like this before coming out of LAME?