On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 11:16:42AM -0500, Ronen Mizrahi wrote:
> You guys just do not get it, do you? A small infringement is enough to
> have them sued and probably have them want to settle. This is your
> chance to make them pay for not treating you right.

So, you'll be donating the legal time, legal money and travel expenses
then?  Great!  Where do I sign up for the free shuttle to your planet?

> For abusing your
> software and thinking that they can do whatever they wish with
> copyrighted material.

Actually, in this case, they can do whatever they want with a few
small restrictions.  I doubt Sony had any idea that the vendor they
paid to do this included LGPL code.  It's entirely possible the
vendor's execs had no idea. After the ten years of figuring who to
blame is over, every side of the battle will have no chance of
recouping the money they spent on lawyers.

...unless of course it *is* about the principle, like we said, and not
about the money.

> Their name has been so badly hurt when they tried
> to protect their own copyrighted materials by using "spyware" that
> facing a lawsuit now about infringing on someone else's rights is so
> symbolic and powerful that the media will be all over them. It will make
> them look so bad they will probably want to settle this as quickly as
> possible. I am not the one who wrote the original email and I do not
> think money is the motivation. Freedom should be the motivation, these
> guys are trying to take away basic freedoms people should have with
> regard to fair use of music and in the process of doing so they even
> violate someone else's copyrgihts, this has got to stop. I would love to
> see them taught a lesson.

...and a lawsuit that makes us all millionaires will accomplish all
that?  That's approximately as realistic as singing folk songs ending
the Vietnam War.

> Do me a favor, call someone from EFF, they will get you a lwayer and
> will take it from there.  All you have to do is one phone call by at
> least one LAME copyright owner and the rest is history,

HAHAHAHA!  Oh, I wish it really did work that way!  I'd vote for Pam
Samuelson for President in a heartbeat, but even the pres could only
embarrass Sony, not win the lawsuit.

Monty