Am Tue, 6 Mar 2007 16:59:16 -0500
schrieb "Richard Nagle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> thought I would ask the state of mp3 encoding,
> since Microsoft is being sued for 1.5 Billion for using the .mp3
> in Vista.

IMHO that hasn't about vista but the windows systems sold in the past up to now
which include mp3 tech.

> is this the sign of the times that closed source compression is dead,
> and open source is in?

Nothing to do with that. It doesn't matter if it's open or closed source
compression.
You apparently have to watch out for two patent holders now on getting your
usage licensed.
Thomson allows free-of-charge open source mp3 technology, but I wonder what
Alcatel is after there.
Though I don't see lame in danger - there 's no money. They'd more likely sue
every company out there that made some fortune with mp3.

The sign I see is that US laws/courts are nuts. 0.5% of the value of every
Windows PC sold (not only Windows, the whole box!).
Alcatel and Thomson should fight a bit about who now is to ask about mp3 but I
don't think Alcatel wants any testing there as long as it can milk some
companies in US.
Hm, I should be careful for ranting here... but a positive sign I see is that
Microsoft says that software patents are not good:-)

I for sure do not see my personal usage of mp3 technology affected.

Thomas.