Hi!

I have written (yet another, of course better) MP3 analysis/validation tool
and found that different tools and encoders do not agree on the number of
bytes and/or frames stored in the Xing/Lame VBR header.  The most
common "mistake" as I understand is to include this VBR information frame
within the statistics.  AFAIK there are no official specs for the VBR tag,
and all docs I know contain ambiguous information about this problem, but I
think it is most sensible to exclude the Xing frame from the numbers, since
the purpose of the statistics is to be able to compute the running time and
average bitrate of the file, isn't it?

Specifically, I noticed that files I encoded recently with lame 3.97 have the
correct number of (audio data-only) MPA frames set, but the total byte count
includes the Xing tag.

Is lame's behaviour in this respect documented anywhere (ideally for specific
versions)?

Is there a rationale for including the Xing tag in the byte count, but not in
the frame count?

Do you disagree with my own opinion that the Xing tag should be excluded from
both values?

Ciao, /  /                                                    .o.
    /  / ANS                                                  ooo