On 2014/10/25 22:21, Steven Newbury <st...@snewbury.org.uk> wrote:
> I that case the sample spec will have PA_SAMPLE_INVALID as its format
> type, which will cause the stream open to fail*.  This can happen for
> example if the sample rate is out of range for a given format, where
> the pa_sample_spec_valid() will reject the sample spec.

I don't like that, because MPD should already know it has failed - and
instead of passing the known-to-be-invalid format specification to
Pulse, it should realize it has failed and bail out immediately.

Anyway, why the complicated probing code at all?  What is the
advantage over Ian's simpler solution?