On 2015/10/16 13:28, Aleksander Trofimowicz <aat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not really. My idea is that once consensus on MPD protocol extension
> is reached and implemented, MPD clients will gradually adopt to a new
> interface. That in turn encourage commercial entities or savvy users
> to provide plugins to MPD. It's unpractical to expect that I'll
> provide some kind of universal plugin that will handle communication
> with DACs, since every single manufacturer pops out with its own
> usually proprietary and closed form of communication.

I don't see anything here that requires dynamic filter selection.

By the way, "proprietary and closed form" sounds like it'll violate my
copyright.  I'm not interested at all!

> > What you did NOT say is why you want to make them available on the MPD
> > protocol.  Which, however, is the only thing you were going to
> > implement.
> >
> Because MPD protocol is not relevant to MPD only anymore. There are
> other server-side alternatives, and not so insignificant number of
> client-side apps, that rely on the protocol, and would enjoy such
> enhancement. Besides I'm not a all-rounder, time constraints left
> alone.
>
> What would makes me happy is a mobile app that would handle track,
> volume, filter management altogether. And I presume I wouldn't be the
> only one.

I still don't understand the need for any of this to be dynamic at
runtime.

But if you believe this is really useful, we can talk about your
protocol extension proposal.  BUT: *ONLY* if you submit a patch for
MPD that implements this protocol completely and properly (this is
complicated stuff!).  If you don't write the code, I'm not interested
in your proposal, and you shouldn't waste any time writing the
proposal.  Actually, you should write the "dynamic filter" code first,
and then we add the protocol extension to control it.

I predict that this will not happen, but I'd be very happy if you
prove me wrong.

Max