On 2016/07/13 15:24, Michael Paquier <michael.paqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is no way to know currently if a client is connected to a buggy
> server or not.

How would that work?  Will that client have a database of
"known-to-be-buggy" versions?  What will it do when it finds out that
the given version is buggy?  Will that client have workarounds for
each known bug?

Why not just apply bugfix, instead of adding shitloads of complex
workarounds to each and every client?

> And based on how things look at, the protocol number
> has no real purpose as currently designed

You missed one important purpose, the one and only reason the protocol
version is being displayed in the server greeting: to allow a client
to check which protocol features are available.

If a new bug-fix release doesn't extend the protocol, then the
announced protocol version doesn't change.  That's why MPD 0.19.17
stil announces protocol version 0.19.0.  There were no protocol
changes, only internal bug fixes.

> a protocol should not change for a given major version or it would
> break existing applications, so if what is returned to the client is
> 0.19.X to define a certain client version, one can immediately guess
> that the protocol is 0.19. That's the reason why I'd suggest such a
> change for 0.20.X only. Thinking more about that, it may make even
> more sense to remove the protocol number, but I don't know enough
> the history of the project, perhaps you have already bumped up the
> protocol for a given major version?

I don't get any of that.  What's your point?