On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 10:16 PM, Gavin Kistner <phr...@me.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 13, 2016, at 2:46 AM, Max Kellermann <m...@duempel.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On 2016/07/13 07:38, Michael Paquier <michael.paqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Wouldn't it make more sense to get the real version number?
>>
>> Would it?
>
> Yes.

There is no way to know currently if a client is connected to a buggy
server or not. And based on how things look at, the protocol number
has no real purpose as currently designed: a protocol should not
change for a given major version or it would break existing
applications, so if what is returned to the client is 0.19.X to define
a certain client version, one can immediately guess that the protocol
is 0.19. That's the reason why I'd suggest such a change for 0.20.X
only. Thinking more about that, it may make even more sense to remove
the protocol number, but I don't know enough the history of the
project, perhaps you have already bumped up the protocol for a given
major version?
--
Michael