Not sure what we can do about this.

Configfsf.guess is run first and it gives:

x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

This is passed to config.guess which tries to sharpen up the detection:

1) It runs a 64 bit x86_64 cpuid coded in assembly to get vendor
string, family and model.
2) The machine returns AuthenticAMD, family 6, model 2
3) Config.guess correctly identifies it as some kind of Athlon

The only way to get a 64 bit binary on this machine is to build with
-host=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

Bill.