On Wednesday 04 March 2009 20:52:20 Bill Hart wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I will finish off the K8 code as is, and have already done the K10
> code. But if you could email the output of applying the new version to
> the Core 2 code, that would probably save me lots of time.
>
> Bill.
>
> 2009/3/4 Cactus <rieman...@googlemail.com>:
> > On Mar 4, 8:25 pm, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> Hmm, so far no alignment issues appear to have slowed things down. I
> >> didn't know about the alignb thing.
> >>
> >> What may be useful is a version of the converter in the x86_64
> >> directory which converts any .asm files to .as files in yasm format.
> >>
> >> The issues with the $ were in sqr_basecase in the amd64 dir. It ends up
> >> with:
> >>
> >>         jge     mulskiploop%1
> >>         mulloop %1
> >>         mulskiploop%1:
> >>
> >> at about line 277, which yasm doesn't like.
> >>
> >> If that first %1 is a macro parameter, I don't know what it is
> >> supposed to be. It doesn't occur inside a macro. The code works,
> >> assuming it is just part of the label, anyhow.

It used to occur inside another macro , same for extra quotes around $ ,

> >> Also in sqr_basecase you have examples of macros in lower case and the
> >> calls to the macros in upper case.
> >>
> >> As for mulq [rcx] that is always unambiguous. The q signifies a qword.
> >>
> >> Bill.

I was never sure about prologue/epilogue and just copied the existing files ,

Again I was never sure what this was ment to do

I can live with most masm'ism's , they are just alternatives for something
similar in gas , but the dword ptr stuff is just *$"%£&)

> > Hi Bill
> >
> > I have a new version that does several of the things you want - is it
> > any use to you?
> >
> > The problem with the 'macros' in sqr_basecase is that they are hard to
> > distinguish from non macro symbols since there is no bracket around
> > the supposed parameter - how do I know that 'macro1' is 'macro 1' and
> > not the symbol 'macro1'?
> >
> > Translating macro(1) is easy but 'macro1' is a lot harder.  I took the
> > view that it was better not to translate something than to translate
> > it wrongly :-)
> >
> > I do have a crude symbol table so I might be able to distinguish these
> > as macro calls.
> >
> >   Brian

I suppose now that I not using GMP but MPIR , I should switch over to yasm . I
will admit I don't trust it, it's too new , there is enough wierd shit going
on with assembler code as it is. My other gripe is that it works on windows ,
being an open source person , I don't like it :)

Jason