OK, I did some reading, and apparently FSF GCC defines __APPLE_CC__ on
Apple machines. So testing if this is defined does not tell you if the
compiler vendor is Apple or FSF.

The reason is that apparently Apple's include files break if this is
not defined by GCC.

I'm surprised we haven't seen this before. But apparently if you use
FSF GCC on an Apple machine, then that is a situation we have not
encountered before.

We need a new way to distinguish compiler vendor. I prefer to do this
at compile time if possible. Anyone have any ideas?

Bill.