Mariah, can I assume that gcc-4.3.1 and gcc-4.3.2 are not available on
varro. There seem to be files or something with those names in
/usr/local/bin, but they don't seem to do anything.

BTW, we all *really* appreciate your efforts in getting gcc working on
these machines for us to use.

Just to be clear, when I said that I thought gcc was broken on varro,
this was not in any way intended to be critical of your excellent work
installing it. I only meant that I thought either gcc has an (until
now, unnoticed) bug or there is some bug in the Apple compiler on the
machine so that it miscompiles gcc.

Now I know that the gcc folks intend to have things this way, even
though oodles of documentation on the web says otherwise.

Thanks again for your hard work!!

Bill.