On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Jason Moxham <ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 19 March 2009 14:31:55 Gonzalo Tornaria wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> > Wait, how does it currently decide which ABI to use? Does configure
>> > decide that aside from what config.guess says.
>>
>> Yes, except config.guess may change it (but it shouldn't, as we
>> discussed before this causes compilation failure, e.g. in a kvm
>> virtual cpu which reports wrong cpuid).
>
> At the moment a kvm cpuid would be unrecognized , and so would default to
> x86_64 the base architecture . If the kvm doesn't virtualize cpu then a
> better choice may be K8 or core2 depending on the host cpu, do we know what
> it does and whether is may return some info we can use to choose a better
> path.

We know what KVM claims by default: family=6, model=2, stepping=3.
Both for Intel or AMD (and the Vendor string is set accordingly). I
believe neither vendor has a chip with this model.

It's ok to choose any random default for such a KVM machine --- it
means the compilation won't fail (this is very important for sage,
where this is part of compilation of a large number of packages). If
the user knows better, it is possible to configure kvm on the command
line so that it claims a different family/model.

It may be sensible to actually detect KVM with f=6, m=2, and give back
a warning explaining to the user how to change this, but not fail.

As it works now, for intel processors, all of them running in 64 bit
will work (keep ABI=64) -- it was broken before.

But for AMD, I think it is still broken, i.e. a KVM cpu in 64 bit mode
will return "athlon", which in turn will force ABI=32, which in turn
will make the compile to fail.

>> Anyway, the point was, using the same name as gcc to avoid a mapping
>> from cpu naming to gcc tuning options, but this is just another
>> mapping which can be written, as long as the cpu names are
>> fine-grained enough to get advantage of gcc tuning.
>>

> You still have to write the same mapping regardless of weather the names match
> or not , so we can call them what we want(nearly)

Yes, definitely. We were lazy or ignorant at that moment to write a
mapping, so we used identity... :-)

>> e.g. calling "core2" a pentium D is not good, because -mtune=nocona
>> gives better results than -mtune=core2 as shown by the benchmarks I
>> posted in a different thread.

Gonzalo