On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Jason Moxham <ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com> wrote:
>> Yes, except config.guess may change it (but it shouldn't, as we
>> discussed before this causes compilation failure, e.g. in a kvm
>> virtual cpu which reports wrong cpuid).
>>

> My understanding is that config.guess is to "tweek" the exact cpu , the ABI is
> allready decided by then.

1. ABI is decided.
2. config.guess can use ABI to figure out the exact cpu
3. configure may still change the ABI depending on the cpu reported by
config.guess

For instance, if config.guess responds "pentium3", the configure
script will lower ABI to 32, even if it was 64 to start with. This is
already fixed (namely, config.guess only returns 64 bit names when ABI
is 64).

OTOH, this is still "broken" for Athlon, i.e. config.guess may respond
"athlon" even when ABI=64, and this makes configure switch to ABI=32.

I put "broken" in quotes, because this won't happen with a real cpu,
but it does happen with a badly configured virtual cpu (this includes
default out of the box KVM, tested in kvm-72 from debian stable, and
also kvm-84 from the latest upstream source of kvm).

gonzalo