On Apr 21, 7:31 pm, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> There was a proposal to maintain a GPL v3+ version of MPIR with some
> of the code that has ended up in GMP 4.3.0 in it, as for the most
> part, Sage could use it. But it seemed like too much of a distraction
> from our current priorities. I don't personally want to get
> sidetracked by that, as I expect we'll match GMP feature for feature
> in time, but I'd be happy if someone else wanted to maintain this.
>
> The main issues are that the current XGCD code returns different
> answers to the asymptotically fast code that is out there, which is a
> problem for Sage doctesting, and that maintaining a GPL v3+
> distribution would require building on MSVC, Sun and Apple compilers
> as well as gcc. That would be quite a lot of work, as currently Brian
> Gladman is entirely managing the MSVC side of things and I would
> certainly not want to push the maintenance of two versions of MPIR
> onto him.

Thank you for your concern Bill, which is spot on.  To be honest, I
would not be able to do much more than I am now doing anyway.

With my cryptography code, MPIR, MPFR,  GMP-ECM, help in aspects of
msieve and ggnfs support, I simply don't have the time to support both
MPIR and some GMP/MPIR hybrid.

Although I have ported GMP 4.3.0 and its x64 assembler to Windows to
test its performance, I won't be publishing the resulting code or the
build projects as I want to focus on MPIR.

In performance terms the two are not far apart on Windows so it would
not make sense to support both (or some hybrid of the two).

Moreover I want to avoid publishing code under GPL/LGPL v3 as I
consider its focus is on the politics of licensing rather than on
making high quality code openly and freely available to all
(commercial as well as non commercial), which is where I want to
invest my time.