Hi

It's hard to believe that svn(or the others) dont have a solution for this.
How about something like this

Brian wants branch-xyz , he logs into svn server , runs a diff of trunk
directory against branch  to create a patch file. He only has to download the
patch file and apply it against his local trunk to create his local branch.
If this is all automated it should be simple enough.

Jason