I believe the graphical Windows TortoiseSVN client offers the switch
command. At least it shows up in my client (which is admittedly 32 bit
Windows).

Sorry for not paying more attention to this issue before now.
Eventually a transition to a distributed system will also fix this
issue (and others), but for now I personally believe it would be
premature to switch to such a system on account of the lack of decent
Windows support. But don't let that stop you. If Mercurial will fix
the problems, I am not opposed. So long as everyone can live with the
system, that is all that concerns me.

I wonder actually if we do use switch whether making changes to the
currently "switched" branch also automatically makes those changes to
trunk. I guess not, as that would probably be illogical. But then
again, I don't know how it handles changes made to trunk but not the
branch. I should read the svn manual more carefully.

Bill.