2009/4/26 gerrob <robert.gerb...@gmail.com>:

> Hi!
>
> I've uploaded two codes on the google group, computation of binomial
> coefficients in a much faster way than the currently used in mpir/gmp,
> using binary splitting (the idea is similar if we would use product
> tree). In gmp there are two functions for this: mpz_bin_ui and
> mpz_bin_uiui. Note that my code is slower for small input (small means
> that k is small in function of n), so use the old code in such cases.

Thanks again.

By the way, I haven't been through your root test code yet. My weekend
has been swallowed up!! But I promise it is very near the top of my
todo list now. I have some refereeing of another nature to do, a
lecture to give and I am about there...

> The idea is old, I've sent a similar contribution to gmp years ago, I
> don't know why they haven't used it.

The GMP developers don't appear to commit themselves to using
contributions. We don't either, of course, though we try hard. It is
always easier if people commit to merging the code themselves into our
repo. But this can be difficult and it isn't for everyone. I can only
guess that in the case of GMP, they want the code to be in a certain
style and to meet a certain standard otherwise it doesn't get merged
unless someone finds time to rewrite it. Did you receive any feedback
on the code from them?