On 21 May, 07:40, Cactus <rieman...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On May 21, 4:36 am, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> In theory it should be possible to use MSYS to build 32-bit versions
> of MPIR on Windows.  In practice, however, it seems quite likely that
> this won't work because, as far as I am aware, nobody is maintaining
> this build system.

I don't know about maintaining support for 32 bit MSYS, however, my
version of Vista is 32 bit and I am making sure the releases build and
pass tests on that system with MSYS. I don't have access to other
configurations to try though, so support is certainly limited.
Obviously our main project goal is to support MSVC on Windows, which
is a much, much more capable compiler for Windows. MSYS is improving
over time though, I believe. For example I think the new version of it
will basically be gcc 4.4.0 for Windows and should work on 64 bit
Windows. I still expect it to be flaky compared to the native MSVC
option though, at least in the early stages of development.

Another option for people is Cygwin, which I have also been checking
works on my system. However on Vista the performance of Cygwin is
unacceptable. It may be ok for XP users though. However it should be
noted that it really isn't the same thing as an MSYS build. It
basically assumes you are building all your software in Cygwin,
whereas if I understand correctly, one can have hybrid MSYS/MSVC
software.

Speaking of build testing, we should be close to build testing for the
next version. We need to wait for Jason to see if he sorts out the
divrem_2 issue, I will toughen up the FFT and we'll have to run lots
of tests of all the new code, e.g. the Toom stuff and XGCD, which I
*expect* to fail on multiple systems, as some code paths have not been
tested at all yet. I think solid testing of this release will be much
more important than past releases, due to the large amount of new
code.