That is an interesting question. pthreads is certainly available on
much older compilers. But the issue is, it is very hard to code.

Essentially OpenMP does all the hard work for you, keeping threads
alive when they are not in use, managing all the pointers to your
data, etc.

I'd be interested in supporting pthreads if there was some performance
benefit from doing so, but I actually think OpenMP is pretty good.

I recall when parallelising using pthreads problems with about 500x500
= 250000 bits of data, or perhaps a little less, could be effectively
parallelised. We are currently parallelising stuff effectively with
128000 bits of data.

In other words, there doesn't seem to be any immediately obvious
performance reason to consider pthreads.

What do you think?

Bill.