Support for parallel processing can make demands on people's compiler,
because ultimately there is no point writing parallel code for very
old machines and newer machines will have newer compilers. If you are
really serious about performance and using multi core machines, you
are probably going to own a modern machine with the latest compiler.
Of course it will always be possible to build MPIR in single core
mode, which will be the default, so it is not like we are making a
recent gcc a prerequisite to build MPIR.

In particular gcc 4.2.4 and following have OpenMP support built in.
That means all the compilers which are derivatives of gcc will fairly
shortly have OpenMP support if they don't already. Certainly the Intel
compiler supports OpenMP and has for quite some time.

As you say, the main issue is MSVC, which doesn't even have pthreads.
Perhaps Brian knows whether VS 2010 will have OpenMP support?

Bill.