The binary itself also exports mpir_version, which is a char * giving
the version string, "1.3.0" in the case of the MPIR about to be
released. I guess this is not so useful unless you already know you
have MPIR and not GMP. But in the rare case where a user has screwed
up by having a gmp.h from GMP and a binary from MPIR, it can be
useful.

Bill.