That's a good thought, but returning 4.3.0-mpir as the gmp version
number would be less likely to break routines that compare version
numbers than returning mpir-4.3.0, especially when comparing to
something like 4.2.1 that doesn't have the extra characters.  There
are lots of packages out there that append such things as "a" or
"alpha1" or "beta" occasionally, so generic routines for comparison of
version numbers would be tailored for such things.

only works on some OS's.

Thanks!