> > On the same topic, in the 1.3.0-rc1 manual, mpz_nextprime and
> > mpz_probab_prime_p are tagged "obsolete", whereas in gmp manual they are
> > still perfectly valid functions. I suggest to also add these "before
> > fork" symbols when gmpcompat is active.
> >

> The functions will be available with and without gmpcompat for quite some
> time
> , a year or two or three ?

Sorry, I was not clear. I meant: if, MPIR and GMP can not agree on the
API for primality-related functions, then I would really like to have the
GMP names available with gmpcompat, even on the very long term.

 From my point of view, the API you are proposing is much better than the
old one, but that is not really the question here (except that it could
make it easier to convince GMP to adopt it ;-))

> > I might be an isolated case, but I would really like to be able to write
> > code that would run with both gmp and mpir, without having to recompile.
> >

> I doubt you are an isolated case , although clearly you would have to stick
> the lowest common denominator . It's difficult to see how you could take
> advantage of any new features that are in one package but not the other ,
> which depends on how closely the packages mirror each other. You would think
> that good ideas would end up in both packages although in slightly different
> forms , but there are other influences at work here , time will tell.

Yeah, of course you're right. Just consider my emails as a poor attempt
to push for a LCM that is as large as possible for as long as possible
;-)

I do not realize how much work this represents, so do not take this as a
promise, but if there are enough users interested in it, I could
volunteer to contribute a --enable-extrasymbols option that would add
many names, including old functions and new functions that could appear
in GMP in the future. Just wrappers calling genuine MPIR functions, of
course...

Anyway, it's probably too early for this project, since the difference is
only slowly starting to be a problem.

Pierrick