Was the option -O1 passed to gcc in all instances where the problem occurred?

I have heard of instances where -O1 will cause macro errors which
cause the compiler to shut down. When a higher optimisation level is
used the macro which causes the crash in gcc is optimised away.

If that turns out to be the issue, the solution will be to simply
compile that one file with -O2 optimisation. For most things -O1 is
far too slow anyway.

Bill.