On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> it is with pleasure that we (finally) officially release MPIR 1.3.0.
> It is available at our website http://www.mpir.org/
>
> Please note the following important things:
>
> * I have been unable to get any tests to pass on ultrasparc2 machines,
> including t2 (solaris) and gcc54 (linux). I am confident there are not
> bugs in the ultrasparc assembly code (as we haven't changed it and it
> worked before). Thus if someone can tell me how to get MPIR to behave
> on these machines "out-of-the-box" I will make the necessary changes
> to MPIR. In the mean time, we have to officially consider MPIR broken
> on such machines (or the machines we test on to be broken). Note this
> is *not* a Solaris issue as MPIR builds just fine on Solaris.

Hmmm.  That doesn't sound good.   In order not to annoy David Kirkby
off again, I guess this means we can't upgrade MPIR to version 1.3.0
in Sage?  We could at least make it an optional package.

> * It is no longer necessary to issue make install gmp-compat, however
> it is still necessary to use --enable-gmpcompat with configure if you
> want a gmp.h and libgmp
>
> * Many users believe that mpz_nextprime returns a prime. In fact it is
> only guaranteed to define a number which is with high probability
> prime. For this reason the function has been deprecated. Please use
> the new mpz_next_likely_prime in its place.
>
> * Most of the random functions in MPIR which require global random
> state have been deprecated and new functions provided which have local
> state. This allows code using MPIR random functions to be threadsafe.
>
> * The functions mpz_div_2exp and mpz_div_ui have been removed from
> MPIR. These were deprecated many years ago, but many people have
> continued to use them.
>
> A quick workaround is to use the following defines:
>
> #ifndef mpz_div_2exp
> #define mpz_div_2exp mpz_tdiv_q_2exp
> #endif
>
> #ifndef mpz_div_ui
> #define mpz_div_ui mpz_tdiv_q_ui
> #endif
>
> However, the better fix is to actually replace all occurrences in
> code. (Users of FLINT will have to wait a couple of days until I issue
> an update to FLINT, in particular the quadratic sieve, which still
> uses the old functions - in the mean time, just add the above defines
> to flint.h).

Does the above mean that you have decided to just deprecate any
attempt at cross-compatibility with GMP?  That's how my fuzzy "user
ears" see this.

 -- William