Rather than talk about hypothetical code I wrote when I was thinking
of producing BSD licensed library, I may as well expose it:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wbhart/mpir-bsd/

It has a magic makefile system such that if you drop files in, they
just build automatically.

Simply do make check to make it work (you have to edit the top level
makefile to specify the location of MPIR and export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
for MPIR and the top level source directory for this library).

It is about the same speed as MPIR for multiplication up to about 100
limbs. Everywhere it was necessary to use assembly language, I just
called MPIR, but these functions could be used in this library
directly.

Here's what I'd do if I were going to write a BSD library:

For the first 6-12 months:

* x86_64 only
* linux, Windows and FreeBSD only
* mpn layer only (what I've called nn) - the interface already exists,
so work to it!!
* no autotools
* aim for performance within 20% of GMP/MPIR for everything up to 100 limbs
* target PCC not GCC (a very clean and efficient BSD compiler which
also works on Windows - trivial to port to Win64)
* aim to have 5 regular committed contributors with 2 people able to
manage releases by the end of 12 months
* set up a donations system on the website with the aim of hiring
contractors to address prespecified "bounties"
* aim for the greatest possible simplicity of design, with performance
a *secondary* goal
* get the software architecture right from the start
* very careful auditing of code for license, documentation and style
(for the latter run it through indent)

If it is judged a success at the 6 and 12 month stages, move the
project forward and allow the goals to expand.

Anyone interested?

Bill.