On May 17, 11:13 am, Antony Vennard <antony.venn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Brian,

[snip]

> As I understand it, mingw (gcc on windows) has the same problem - it
> doesn't support x86-64 compilation. I'm not 100% on that - last I tried
> msys on win64 was about two years ago and back then msys itself just seg
> faulted when you tried to run it so you had to set up all the paths by
> hand...

This has now changed since mingw64 now exists.   I use it via
CodeBlocks and find the x64 code qulaity is very good.

It compiles GMP and MPIR for Windows x64 in generic C mode and gives a
reasonable performance given the absense of any assembler support.

It has taken a long time for mingw64 to arrive because of a 'chicken
and egg' problem in that the compiler needs GMP and MPFR for
generating compile time constants but the standard version of GMP was
not available on Windows x64 for a long time.