This maybe related or not

PASS: t-dc_bdiv_qr_n
PASS: t-dc_bdiv_qr
PASS: t-dc_bdiv_q
inv_divappr_q.c:45: GNU MP assertion failed: dn >= 6
/bin/sh: line 4: 24955 Aborted                 (core dumped) ${dir}$tst
FAIL: t-gcdext
PASS: st_fat
PASS: st_instrument
1 of 48 tests failed
Please report to http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mpir-devel/
make[4]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/tmp/mvngu/mpir-sandbox/test_stuff-
r2978/cicero/tests/mpn'
make[3]: *** [check-am] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/mvngu/mpir-sandbox/test_stuff-
r2978/cicero/tests/mpn'
make[2]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/mvngu/mpir-sandbox/test_stuff-
r2978/cicero/tests'
make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/mvngu/mpir-sandbox/test_stuff-r2978/cicero'
make: *** [check] Error 2
cicero

PASSED CC=gcc CXX=g++ configure=
PASSED CC=gcc CXX=g++ configure= --enable-cxx --enable-gmpcompat
PASSED CC=gcc CXX=g++ configure= --enable-cxx --enable-gmpcompat --enable-
assert --enable-alloca=debug
PASSED CC=gcc CXX=g++ configure= --enable-cxx --enable-gmpcompat --enable-
assert --enable-alloca=debug --build=longlong-pc-linux-gnu
PASSED CC=gcc CXX=g++ configure= --enable-fat
PASSED CC=gcc CXX=g++ configure= --enable-fat --enable-cxx --enable-gmpcompat
FAILED CC=gcc CXX=g++ configure= --enable-fat --enable-cxx --enable-gmpcompat
--enable-assert --enable-alloca=debug

At least it proves that try all possible combinations is worth something