On Tuesday 27 July 2010 11:16:25 Bill Hart wrote:
> On 27 July 2010 11:09, Jason <ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Just thinking about the next bit of autotools simplifications , then
> > these bits are all interconnected in some way.
> >
> > Support for fat file systems(8+3 names) , ie we have a file mpn/dive_1.c
> > which gives us the function divexact_1 . We already dont support fat
> > file systems as we already have files with names longer than 8+3 chars ,
> > so this is no great loss. So I propose to change the file names to match
> > the function names.
>
> This definitely sounds like a long overdue improvement.
>
> > Some files ie x86/aors_n.asm or mpn/generic/popham.c provide for two
> > functions , and the "decision" is made at compile time , I propose we
> > move the "decision" to "autotools" time.
>
> Do you mean have two symbolic links to the same file with different
> flags for compilation?

Basically the same setup we have at the moment , but when we run autotools ,
we run "our setup script" instead , which runs autotools AND "splits"
aors_n.asm into add_n.asm AND sub_n.asm , that way the build system doesn't
need the compilation FLAGS , ie the build system is now one file=one function.
The complication can still exist , but are confined to our development machines
, so we could write it in python(or whatever , C?)

> > There are lists of functions that have to be filled in various
> > Makefile.am 's , with the above changes we should be able to automate it
> > , and I think the Windows build could benefit from the code that can
> > list the files/functions. It would nice if this could handle the
> > function prototypes in the header files as well.
>
> This would be nice.

There are of course files which can have multiple entry points , ie mpn_add_n
and mpn_add_nc , we would need to handle them , and I think there are file
which have a few functions in them (for tuning only?) . Have to think about
that....