Bill,

Thanks for your response!
You know, it's funny, but I'd run it twice when i posted the thread. I
decided, 'what the heck, 3rd time's the charm' and ran it a third
time. This time it passed. Perhaps there was interference of some
sort, but I can't make sense of it... anyways, I'll still give all
details around the problem in the event that my build turns out buggy.
My apologies.

I'm using a Toshiba Portege R705 with Intel Core i3, running Windows 7
Home Premium.
I'm using Cygwin Bash Shell.

My code in:
./configure --enable-gmpcompat --enable-cxx=detect --enable-assert

For brevity, I'll only include the messages that seem to be pertinent:

PASS: convert.exe
PASS: io.exe
/bin/sh: line 1: 6196 Aborted              (core dumped) "$tst" > t-
inp_str
.log-t 2>&1
FAIL: t-inp_str.exe
PASS: logic.exe
PASS: bit.exe
1 of 59 tests failed
See tests/mpz/test-suite.log
$
make[5]: *** [test-suite.log] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory '/cygdrive/c/mpir/mpir-2.2.1/tests/mpz'
make: *** [check] Error 2

Now the log file:
   MPIR 2.2.1: tests/mpz/test-suite.log

1 of 59 tests failed.

.. contents:: :depth: 2

FAIL: t-inp_str.exe (exit: 134)

t-inp_str.c:97: GNU MP assertion failed: fp != ((void *)0)

Once again, thanks for the response and I'm glad that it seems to be
working and hopefully I didn't waste your time on this one.