Alright, now the make check makes it down to .../tests/cxx, and fails
there.

Here is the part of the message that applies:

Making check in cxx
make[3]: Entering directory '/cygdrive/c/mpir/mpir-2.2.1/tests/cxx'
make  t-assign.exe t-binary.exe t-cast.exe t-constr.exe t-headers.exe
t-istream.
exe t-locale.exe t-misc.exe t-ops.exe t-ostream.exe t-prec.exe t-
rand.exe t-tern
ary.exe t-unary.exe
make[4]: Entering directory '/cygdrive/c/mpir/mpir-2.2.1/tests/cxx'
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../tests    -m32 -O2 -
fomit-frame-p
ointer -mtune=core2 -march=core2 -c -o t-assign.o t-assign.cc
In file included from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/include/c++/
backward/str
stream:51,
                            from ../../tests/tests.h:469,
                            from t-assign.cc:30:
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/include/c++/backward/
backward_warning.h:33:2:
warning: #warning This file includes at least one deprecated or
antiquated heade
r which may be removed without further notice at a future date. Please
use a non
-deprecated interface with equivalent functionality instead. For a
listing of re
placement headers and interfaces, consult the file backward_warning.h.
To disabl
e this warning use -Wno-deprecated.
In file included from t-assign.cc:30:
../../tests/tests.h:473: error: 'string' does not name a type
make[4]: *** [t-assign.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory 'cygdrive/c/mpir/mpir-2.2.1/tests/cxx'
make: *** [check] Error 2

Might this have something to do with the version of cygwin and not
mpir?

Thanks in advance,
Chris