On Feb 8, 3:50 am, Case Vanhorsen <cas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Cactus <rieman...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> It does keep the API from growing. I can see it working with
> >> statically linked applications (like gmpy) but wouldn't there be DLL
> >> issues if two dynamically linked applications assumed different
> >> interfaces?
>
> > Only the application that made the wrong assumption :-)
>
> >    Brian
>
> > --
>
> What about following the API in MPFR and adding mpz_set_sj where j is
> defined to be intmax_t? IIUC, this should allow us to pass any integer
> type. (And _uj for uintmax_t, etc.)
>
> This may be the most work, but it follows the precedent set in MPFR.
>
> casevh

Yes, that's a good solution. Its a lot of work but would be worthwhile
in the long term.

How many would volunteer some effort to do this though?   I am not
sure I would want to embark on this as the only contributor.

On the plus side it should not be hard to draw up a small set of
'templates' for doing this, many of which already exist in the code.

The get/set with limb and integer size relationships greater, equal
and less would be fairly standard code.

And others would involve faking up an appropriate GMP type from
similar templates.