The core Python code for handling the mpn/arch directory tree starts with
the default mpn/generic code and then, as it goes down the arch trees (x86w
and x86_64w), it overloads any *.h *.c, *.asm and *.s files based based on
file name matches (i.e. less any extension).  The lists of files for a
directory become the defaults for its sub-direcctories.

There are four lists for each directory in the tree: (1) *.h files, (b) *.c
files, (c) *.asm files that have overridden a C file, and (d) *.asm files
that are not overrides.

So provided the strict hierarchy is observed, I should be able to cope with
*.c files.

There are a few files where filenames and the symbols they define don't
match (or have multiple symbols) and these are a complication. But we are
eliminating these so this problem will hopefully go away.   We could supress
the k10 directory by having the k8only directory named k8 since this will
automatically override any k8 directory higher up the tree.

Although I am outputting XML for Visual Studio 2010, IIRC Visual Studio 2005
is also XML based (I may be wrong here) so it might not be hard to output in
this format.  I guess I could also output a script to invoke a  C compiler
directly as well.   So it should, at least in principle, be fairly flexible.