On Sep 12, 2:52 am, jason <ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've removed all the defines HAVE_HOST_CPU_* , except those left
> behind in the msvc build directory.
> Some sacrifices were made , our system would of handled them , but as
> they were only minor optimizations for very old cpus's (ie 386,486), I
> didn't bother.
> There was only one thing for a modern chip , powerpc doesn't have a
> time stamp counter for tuning , I will turn it on temporary when we
> tune for our release , but to do it properly I'll have to rationalize
> all the timing stuff , which will have to wait until the next release.
> I also cleared out non-ieee float stuff and other old bits.
>
> Jason

I'm going to put the time stamp counter macro into longlong.h , this
will remove the need for all the extra existing logic that we
currently use. Another simplification can also be done , if we
restrict speed.exe to only use rdtsc or a generic fallback then
another lot of horrible code can be got rid of , however this does
reduce some of our options for speed.exe ie the timing results will
only display in cycles or the generic fallback form , it will no
longer display in seconds . The existing speed.exe has generic scaling
method anyway so all this change means is that for users who want
seconds will have to know the frequency of their cpu. I believe the
current code is wrong anyway as cpu's with turbo boost which is all
current chips , will report incorrect results anyway.

Jason