I have just found an easy solution for the CRLF issue.

It occurred to me that the SVN automatic translation has to check file
types in order to avoid messing up binary files.

I looked at this and it turns out that the SVN configuration file contains
a list of file extensions that specify which files are subject to line
ending translation.  Although these already include *.txt, *.bat and other
common fie name extensions, they did not include *.in so the gmp_h.in did
not get translated.

I have now added this extension to my SVN configuration file so my edits of
gmp_h.in should not cause problems in future. And since I think I am
probably the only Windows user who is going to edit this file, this ought
to avoid the issue in future.