Hello,

Welcome to mpir-devel!   The first thing that I can say is that MPIR on its
own is not the best application to use for multiple precision floating
point applications.  The mpf functions work but they have now been
superseded by another package called MPFR (see www.mpfr.org) that provides
significant improvements for high precision floating point algorithms.

Although this requires yet another package to install, I think you will
find that the extra effort will be worthwhile.  In particular this will
give you better control over precision and also allow long double
conversions provided that your build environment supports this type
(Microsoft build tools on Windows don't support long double).

The second point I would make is that there are also C++ packages that
allow high precision floating point types in a way that is essentially
identical to ordinary double types - see, for example, the MPFRC++ (
http://www.holoborodko.com/pavel/mpfr/).  These packages allows you to
develop your code using ordinary doubles and, once it is working, you can
then do a simple search and replace operation to convert 'double' into
'mpreal' and it will then work with high precision floating point types (a
few other changes might be needed).  Pavel's web  page gives examples and
you might also be interested in Rick Regan's 'Exploring Binary' where he
explains how he went through the issue you are looking at here:
http://www.exploringbinary.com/how-to-install-and-run-gmp-on-windows-using-mpir/

(he uses mpf types but I would recommend that you use MPFRC++ instead).  He
aslo gives examples that might help you.

If you need more help, I would be happy to look at your code and offer
advice on how to get it working with MPFRC++.  If you have an email
address, I will be willing to advise you off-line or you can continue to
ask questions here.

    good luck,

       Brian Gladman