And I don't understand why PIC should not be defined on such systems.
I don't consider that "it makes the build fail because files which cannot
be compiled get picked" is not a good answer in my mind.
Doing "if we set PIC, it fails, so lets undefine PIC at some depth so that
is works" seems like a workaround, not a proper fix.

You may want PIC code, and it may or may not make sense on different
systems.
As far as I understand, on the problematic you can produce PIC code, its
just that the assembler does not like some instructions that the MPIR build
system feeds it with.
So you should be able to let PIC be defined and the job of the build system
is to pick files without  not understandable instructions, not to undefine
PIC somewhere in between so that in the problematic files it gets uses the
not PIC branches of the tests.

Moreover, do these non PIC branches become PIC on the problematic system
whereas they are not on other systems?
That looks kind of magical (but as I'm not an assembly hacker, far from
that, in fact I must admit I know nothing), or would mean there is no need
for the tests from the beginning whatever the system is (that seems less
magical but senseless)?
So in fact undefining PIC at some point and pretending the produced files
are PIC might lead to further problems.